Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Story of My Disappearance

If you follow this blog, you may have noticed that I dropped off the map for a couple of days towards the end of New York Fashion Week. I didn't gush about the Oscar show (classic and flawlesss, as usual) or tell you about my favorites (Boy, Donna Karan, Marc Jacobs). If I could, I would spend the next few weeks going through the detail and beauty shots of all of the shows (and if you haven't, you must go through the detail shots of the Marc show because there is so much to look at and take in and it's all gorgeous!), but instead I took a break for something special!


I was lucky enough to grow up in BB King's hometown, and so I've been able to see this amazing performer in concert since I was barely old enough to walk. This weekend was the grand opening of the museum built in his honor, and I went home to celebrate. It was an especially big weekend because, once upon a time, I worked for the museum when it was just in its infancy.

Let me tell you, a lot has changed. People, this place is amazing. Indianola, Misssisssippi is a town of about 12,000 people, but the museum could easily stand next to any museum in Atlanta, New Orleans, or any major city. Everything is absolutely beautiful, the displays are all fascinating, and you really come away feeling like you understand the story of his life and how incredible it is that a man who started in smalltown Mississippi has millions of fans throughout the world. Check out this article in USA Today about the opening of the museum..

We also got to go to the gala opening, where we saw Keb' Mo' , Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Bobby "Blue" Bland, and others share the stage and play an incredible, once in a lifetime performance that absolutely blew everyone away. It's truly a performance that I will be telling my grandchildren about one day.

I hope that if you are a fan of the blues, or just of music in general, that you'll go check out the museum. Find out more about it here.

Congrats on your opening, L!

1 comment:

BillyWarhol said...

Lucky Vous!!

love da Blues saw James Ctton many moons ago + Sugar Blue - amazing Harp players*

;)) Peace*

BB King seems like such a Great Guy too* i think he's Diabetic too which is Inspirational for a lotta Young People with that horrible disease*

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online