Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Has This Ever Happened to You?

I can't be the only one who has spilled nail polish on their carpet? It's truly a moment of panic, especially if you're like me and you rent your house. I just dumped about half a bottle of dark plum polish on my (rented) cream-colored carpet. What did I do? The same thing most of my generation would do... I Googled! And guess what? IT WORKED! Plus, the ingredients used in the stain remover can be found around your home.

If this ever happens to you, here's a solution that worked on my carpet:

1. DO NOT APPLY NAIL POLISH REMOVER. This will only smear the polish around your carpet. I would have had much less to clean up if I hadn't immediately tried polish remover.

2. Coat the stain in rubbing alcohol. If you have a spare toothbrush laying around, use it to scrub the liquid all the way down to the base of the carpet weave. If not, you can also use your finger.

3. Blot the excessive liquid up with a towel.

4. Spray the stain with Windex (I used Windex brand, so all I can do is guarantee that this type of window cleaner works), then scrub it in with the toothbrush/finger. Blot up the foam with a towel.

5. Cover the stain with hot water, and blot. 

6. Alternate between Windex and hot water until the stain is out!

Tomorrow I'll be back with an awesome post about why I suddenly disappeared in the middle of Fashion Week! Something unusual but special for the music fans.

*I can only vouch for this method working on a light-colored carpet. I'd try this in a tiny little corner to be sure that this doesn't cause discoloration on your carpet!

** If you're curious, I spilled about an hour ago. My carpet had a deep purple stain. It now looks like this:
WOOHOO!

1 comment:

Joanna Goddard said...

omg! YOU are my hero! :)

i always spill nail polish on my white armchair. i am going to try your technique next time. or maybe i should stop painting my nails on my armchair.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online